Windows 10 Creators Update Features!
My first reaction was wow! New features are added and few features were already there and the Microsoft team just brought it to the spotlight. Then without wasting any time let’s just dive in. I will try to share the features which I was to able figure it out.
After a clean installation when the system first booted up Cortana was assisting me in setting up the system for the first time. This is a very new and a unique feature which windows has introduced. I kind of like it since if you are not so tech savvy and bought a new system (desktop or laptop or a pro surface) and don’t know how to set it up, then, this time you don’t have to call the technical assistant group instead Cortana will be assisting and will be living up to its name. This is the video shows how Cortana helps in setting up your system after clean installation.
Cortana is now more efficient and more useful. All you need to do is setup Cortana for the first time and she will be good to go!
Now after the system booted into the windows I was amazed by the performance and the features added to the Microsoft Edge. Personally, I use Google chrome but finally, Edge gave me a lot of reasons to switch browser. Here are the following reasons:
- Login option has been added.
- Set-aside tab option at the left top corner of the browser.
- Preview tabs are now available with a down arrow symbol just beside the new tab + sign.
- An option to instantly change the language which is present just beside the account inside the settings window
- You can also directly link your browser with social accounts, change the home location and etc.
- Under the burger menu present on the right side of the browser they have added reading list and books option. They have also have added a reading view option beside the bookmark. If the website is supported then after you click on this option it will change the whole website to a reading view.
- Now you can even make notes using the note tool (Pen like symbol) on any web page and save it and then you can directly share it using the share tool.
- Now you can customize your extensions. You can directly access office if you have office extension installed.
- A new and amazing feature has been added which is the mouse gesture. After installing this option you can close, open, reopen a closed tab, scroll down & up, move forward and backward using mouse gestures.
- Good news for laptop users, Edge has been optimized in such a way it even consumes less battery, shows notification from a different website (if you allow the website) and has also provided assistance through Cortana.
There are more features which you can check by clicking on “What’s new and tips” under settings.
Windows 10 creators update brings good news for the gamers they have added a Gamebar which now have an option to record, broadcast and optimize by turning on the game mode so the game can be played smoothly.
Now suppose you are in a poorly lit room or maybe or a dark room, Windows has added a feature that is Night Light which will change the white bright color to a warm color for a soothing effect on the eye.
Applications introduced in this are updates are:
i. 3D paint—Now you can get creative and create some 3D model instead of 2D. your creations can be displayed as holograms on a device like the HoloLens, it’s pretty cool.
ii. Mail also received some love from Microsoft. There’s a new Focused Inbox that categorizes your email into two sections: an inbox for your most important email, and all other mail.
iii. Groove music and Movies & TV have become more powerful and will be able to play Full HD and 4k resolution videos. Now the interesting part is movies & tv application has added a “play in mini mode”. In this particular you can watch a video while working, the mini floating window
(which you can resize easily) will stay on top no matter what, so that you can continue with your work at the background. Last but not the least they have added support to play 360 videos as well.
6.There were lots of rumor and question regarding the privacy settings of windows 10. So here goes the new privacy settings window:
Here you can manage the access of the apps to your personal data, location etc.
Start menu and the action bar
In the start menu you can create and name the group where you can organize the tiles of the same type, this feature was introduced in windows phone and now they have introduced in windows 10. You can remove the Apps List from displaying front and center whenever you open the Start menu. By default, you’ll still see your Apps List, but if you toggle a new setting in the Settings app, you can hide it in a sub-menu, allowing you to make your Start menu look even more like a Windows Phone’s Start screen without all the clutter of the Apps List.
Coming to the action center, if you are downloading any file on Edge browser then after the download completes you will be able to see a notification in the action center. You will also receive the notification of the applications that are currently updating or installing. They have added the night light, mobile hotspot option in the quick access area.
They both have a nice transparency effect.
Now coming to the settings window they have added a games section and Apps section.
Hopefully after few more update control panel won’t be there anymore. They are moving all the function to the Settings window.
- Coming to the Apps window – here you can set app preferences. Whether you want to allow an app to install from other sources not. You can sort and check for the drive on which an app is installed. You can also remove apps and set default application from here.
Now coming to the Game Section:
The settings that have even provided are very decent and very useful for the gamers. Now you can set up very easily and start broadcasting your gameplay online. You can also set your own shortcut keys beside the one’s defined windows by default. Though the game mode didn’t prove much useful to me but it might work for you.
Troubleshooter tools were already present in control panel. But now they have moved it to the settings with some added new features. I had a BSOD today morning but it was not able to find or fix the issue. Instead I had to run restore to ensure the issue doesn’t reappear.
We also have a new and improved Windows Security Center:
Here you can check the health of your PC, scan for virus, control actions of apps and websites using Smart Screen filter. You can also monitor your child’s activity online and maintain other devices too. In future, if you have any issue with the OS and want to perform a clean installation, you don’t need to worry anymore there is an option called fresh start under Device performance & health. Fresh Start is almost like a system reset, but, here it will download the ISO file from windows server and perform a clean installation. It will also install the updates without deleting any personal files.
Overall I really liked the new update and I hope you guys will like it too.